3.22.2009

Collisions

I began to notice a pattern of tardies and absences a few weeks ago. Finally, a quiet moment to ask my student about it. Turns out his family moved in with friends on their street months ago after dad lost his job, the savings ran out, and the house was "taken." Once their welcome had worn out with friends, they moved on to an uncle's house which is a considerable distance from school.
Recession? Depression? With unemployment at 11% and climbing in Michigan the definition is pretty clear: it's depressing. The Titanic that is Michigan has hit the ice, yet the band plays on, for the moment.
At a party last night, shouting over the strains of Caribbean music, I answered the "what do you do" question with "I teach middle school art." The reply was unsettling: "Really, I thought with all the cuts...."
What good is art in this time? Could the pleasure of spreading paint with a brush help my student reconcile the pain of his family in crisis? Maybe, for a brief moment, school can be a respite.
Back to the party. My aquaintance is no longer making large commissions in her sales position and her husband lost his successful business last year. They are now looking for opportunities outside Michigan. I wonder, are the waters any warmer elsewhere?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi,
Welcome to the comments section of my Fun Art Blog. Leave a question, a comment, a thought!
Kari

Breaking Rules

C ontemplating impending retirement, I revisit works of art created by so many students over the years. What a complete joy and privilege ...