3.09.2009

Ceramic Lighthouse Fundraiser

During my first year of teaching art I was dismayed to see many students pitch their artwork into the trash can at the end of the term. No matter how much praise I laid on, students still didn't see the value in their artwork. I would beg them to take it home and let their parents decide, knowing that as a mother I would have treasured it. The answer often was, "my mom'll just throw it out." I didn't believe them, but I decided they needed a purpose for creating their art.
That year I began an annual art auction in December. Students made ceramic lighthouse candle lanterns and researched the plight of the homeless. Some students wanted to keep their lighthouses (mission accomplished!) and, of course, I didn't force anyone to donate their item. I also allowed students to make two, one to keep and one to donate. We put the lighthouses on exhibit in our media center and called it "Light the Way."
The students were proud of raising funds for a local food pantry and not a single ceramic piece ended up in the trashcan.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi,
Welcome to the comments section of my Fun Art Blog. Leave a question, a comment, a thought!
Kari

Breaking Rules

C ontemplating impending retirement, I revisit works of art created by so many students over the years. What a complete joy and privilege ...