3.06.2009

Words and Pictures

When I was in college I had a large, black, clothbound sketchbook. Since photography was my main medium, I really didn't do much sketching in it. Mostly I wrote down thoughts about artists and art making. I also wrote bad poetry about my future husband, a fellow art student, but that's another story! I never thought of it as a diary or journal, but really that's what it was.
As in many art classrooms, the first project I give students each term is to assemble a sketchbook. Students use these sketchbooks for completing a variety of art exercises including drawing, but I also (gasp!) ask them to do some writing. Occassionally, a student will ask (and not always in a pleasant voice) why they have to write in an art class. Since writing is a district-wide goal I could always pass the blame on to 'the administration,' but I'd rather have my students know that I value using words to understand art and the art making process and that I care what they think.
I explain to my students that writing helps them think and thinking is part of creating. So, a few days a week, I display an open-ended question related to our current unit and ask the students to respond in writing. And, yes, I do insist on complete sentences and proper punctuation!
At our recent student-led conference night I was thrilled to observe students proudly opening their sketchbook/ journals and sharing their thoughtful writings on a variety of topics from personal symbols to the important role artists play in society.
While circulating during a recent journal response session I noticed some unrelated personal writing accompanied by hearts and a boy's name (I teach middle school.) The student quickly covered the page giving me a worried look. I just smiled and said, "I'm so glad you're filling your sketchbook with what's important to you," and I meant it. Writing does have a place in the art classroom, whether or not it's mandated from the central office.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi,
Welcome to the comments section of my Fun Art Blog. Leave a question, a comment, a thought!
Kari

Breaking Rules

C ontemplating impending retirement, I revisit works of art created by so many students over the years. What a complete joy and privilege ...