4.20.2009

"All Thumbs" and a Few Toes Too

Last spring I decided it was time to tackle the large walk-in storage closet adjacent to my art room. The walls are lined with boxes, some of which, judging from the contents, date back at least thirty years- well before my time! Some of the labels match the contents: cat food cans, door knobs, paper towel rolls. Some are mystery boxes.
One such box held a few rolls of plaster cloth of the sort for casting broken bones. Not enough material for all four of my art classes, unless we did something really small.
The idea for this project sprouted along with the seedlings I set under grow lights awaiting the memorial day weekend outdoor planting date. I was thinking about green thumbs and my mind went on from there: all thumbs, thumbs up, thumbing a ride, Thumbelina, thumbs and toes, tip toe, toe to toe, ten little piggies, hang ten, well, you get the idea. It was silly, but that was our theme.
I dragged out the boxes of wood scraps, invited students to plaster a thumb, a toe or in this case two sets of toes and build a sculpture. Some were 'figurative', some were abstract, all were radically different from each other and lots of fun to do!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi,
Welcome to the comments section of my Fun Art Blog. Leave a question, a comment, a thought!
Kari

Breaking Rules

C ontemplating impending retirement, I revisit works of art created by so many students over the years. What a complete joy and privilege ...