7.10.2009

Shrieking Clown and Grilled Cheese at the Art Institute of Chicago

My daughter and I took a trip on the train to Chicago this week. We each chose an activity. Mine was a visit to the Art Institute. My daughter, the whale lover, chose the Shedd Aquarium. We decided to do the art first and save the 'fun stuff' for the second day.

We started, while energy was high, with a tour of the new contemporary art wing. My daughter was a good sport, for awhile, until we got to the shrieking clown video piece. That sent her over the edge. Time for lunch!
Fortified with grilled cheese and french fries we made our way through the modern galleries. And here I watched my daughter, no art lover, come alive. She loved the landscapes and paintings that 'told stories.' She recognized Picasso's "The Old Guitarist" and told me all about his Blue Period - hurrah for her wonderful art teacher, Mrs. Lampen!
I was amazed at this landscape by Piet Mondrian from 1916. Clearly on a track to abstraction. I loved looking at the actual paint surface, something you can never see in reproductions. Because I grew up near Chicago, I had the opportunity to take many school trips to the museum. My own students have not had this experience. We do not have the funds or parental resources even to go to our local art museum.Our day at the museum over, we took our tired feet to the hotel where we rested up just long enough to gain the energy and appetite to head out for a great meal at an Italian restaurant. Tomorrow - Beluga whales at the Shedd.

2 comments:

  1. I recently found your blog and am enjoying it quite a bit. You've got a lot of great ideas I'd like to try with my own middle school students. This is my second year teaching and love finding new ideas.

    Side-note: I did a bit of a spit-take while I was reading about your experience with the clown exhibit! Hilarious! My friends and I just stood in the room for 10-15 minutes taking it all in...and watching all of the different people's reactions(that might have been the reason we stayed in that dark room for so long!)

    Again thanks for sharing all of your experiences with the world!
    jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenn,
    So glad you're enjoying the blog and finding some useful ideas!
    -Kari

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Welcome to the comments section of my Fun Art Blog. Leave a question, a comment, a thought!
Kari

Breaking Rules

C ontemplating impending retirement, I revisit works of art created by so many students over the years. What a complete joy and privilege ...