12.17.2010

Cheating?

My students sometimes ask if they can print out a picture of something they are trying to draw or paint. I usually let them. This is useful for reference.
Sometimes, a clever student will come up with the idea to hold their paper and picture up to the window and trace.Once in awhile a student will just cut to the chase, grab some scissors and paste the element right into their art work. Inevitably another student will cry "cheating."
But is it? I really think it depends on the artist's goals and the purpose for the project.
So, I made this pen and ink watercolor painting for a friend for Christmas and I cheated. In my practice sketches I was really struggling to get the roof angles correct. I was working from a photograph so I just printed out a couple in the size I wanted for my final painting. I cut the houses out of the background and traced the roof lines. Because my goal in this painting was to record a specific house, I wanted to be fairly accurate. In a different painting I might be more loose and less concerned with precise lines and angles. I hope my friend will forgive me for cheating!

3 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful! The art is in the flow of the paint - so well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is only cheating if the photo isn't yours, or you don't have permission of the photographer. I think it this case you are fine, it looks beautiful. I explain to my students to credit the book, magazine, or url where they found their inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kelly! Such a good suggestion to remind students to give credit where credit is due!

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
Welcome to the comments section of my Fun Art Blog. Leave a question, a comment, a thought!
Kari

Breaking Rules

C ontemplating impending retirement, I revisit works of art created by so many students over the years. What a complete joy and privilege ...